Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Here we go again?

Jason-

Interesting post, I have to admit I see a lot of parallels between the world that we came up in as Gen Xers, and today. I think there might also be a second issue at hand, and this one regarding Gen Y...because the world has in some very significant ways changed in the past ten years (even in the past 2-3 years) and I wonder how that will impact them early in their careers.

But, getting back to the crew coming up after Y, I do think that is likely we will see another cohort big on cynicism. I for one, think that is a good thing. In addition to the apparent correlation between cynicism and good looks, I think that our organizations and institutions continue to get away with a lot of bullshit. Despite all of the collective cynicism of the good looking Gen Xers, we still live in a world driven by spin.

There is today a great deal of noise being made about things like transparency and authenticity, and much of it is being made by the princes and princesses of the Web 2.0 world, but little of it has become reality yet. Few and far between are the leaders and decision makers in business, education, media, government, and religion that truly understand and live transparency and authenticity. Those things tend to be the mantra of those wanting to be leaders more so than those that are leaders.

More cynicism? Bring it on, I say...we need reinforcements.

-joe

No comments:

Post a Comment